Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Not Hero Material

I've been glued to the internet today, as I'm sure many of you have been, watching the amazing drama unfolding in Chile with the rescue of the 33 miners. Seeing that first guy emerge from the pod brought tears to my eyes. I can't imagine what an ordeal these men must have gone through.

But I also fixated on another part of the story--the six (thanks for the correct number B.E.) rescuers who agreed to go DOWN in the tunnel to help prepare the miners for their journey to the surface. My reaction was immediate and visceral--no way would I do that!

It made me think again about what sets heroes like firefighters, police officers, and soldiers apart. They do those things that the rest of us can't imagine doing. I can't think of many things more terrifying than descending thousands of feet into a mine shaft. Have I ever mentioned my biggest primal fear? You guessed it: being buried alive.

I guess that means I'm not hero material, LOL. What about you . . . would you go down in that tube?