Thursday, May 07, 2009


The Clinch Cover

I was reading a book on the romance genre recently, and there was a funny section on clinch covers.  You know, those covers everyone loves to hate, depicting a man and woman caught up a steamy embrace.  (Sorry, couldn't resist one of Joanna Lindsey's old covers--she has some amazing ones).

As a long time reader of romance, my feelings towards clinch covers have evolved.  When I was younger, I used to be embarrassed by them--probably because if someone saw me reading one it made me feel a little naughty, LOL.  Now that I'm an author, I'm more in the "acceptance for those things we cannot change" camp.  I think maybe more than any other type of cover they immediately signal to the reader what she's going to get (usually a sexy historical romance).  And more importantly, they sell!

So how do you feel about clinch covers?  Do you hate them and wish they'd disappear?  Do you love them?  Or are you kind of ambivalent?