Saturday, February 02, 2008


Old Favorites

There's just something about ice skating. It's one of those sports that is "cool" around the Olympics, but forgotten at other times. My husband groaned last week when I put the nationals on the TV, but soon he was just as involved as I was. Our kids were watching it as well and I happened to mention what I think is the quintessential skating movie, ICE CASTLES, and was appalled that my husbsand had never seen it.

Netflix to the rescue! We watched it last night with my 8 year old daughter and I was thrilled with how well it held up. I used to have the biggest crush on Robby Benson. So here's the shocking part: it's 30 years old and Robby Benson is now over 50. Sigh.

It got me thinking about favorite childhood/young adult movies. Who (in the 40 year old range) can forget BLUE LAGOON and LITTLE DARLINGS? My other big favorite was THE OUTSIDERS. I was a huge Matt Dillon fan and there was a small movie called OVER THE EDGE that I must have watched 100 times (kind of scary given the subject matter!).

What about you . . . any movies that hold a special place in your heart?