Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Do you want to be surprised?

I was reading the USA Today on my ipad today (best newspaper APP ever by the way) when my eye went to the picture of Sean Bean in THE GAME OF THRONES. If you haven't seen the show, you are missing out. It's right up there with SPARTACUS BLOOD AND SAND as my favorite. Season One just ended so you'll probably have to catch up with it on Netflix. Anyway, I digress . . . the USA Today story was about George RR Martin's release today of the fifth book in the series.

I'd read most of the first book by time the show started and am currently about 100 pages away from finishing the second (they are LONG books). So there I am reading the news story and before I know it, they're telling me what certain POV characters are up to. Ugh. The catch-me-unaware spoiler! The stories are told from multiple POVs and just knowing who is still around was kind of a bummer.

In books and movies I want to be surprised. Even in romances, where I *know* the ending, I never read ahead (I'm looking at you CP Jami Alden!). With series, I think part of the excitement is wondering "who's next." I've really tried to keep things secret around here with my HIGHLAND GUARD series, but with the book industry being the way it is (books going up for presale well before publication date), I can only keep it under wraps for a while.

I know some of you (cough, cough, Ing!) don't like waiting and want all the spoilers they can find.

What about you: do you want to be surprised or do you seek out those spoilers?

UPDATE: I'm blogging over at Borders True Romance Today about stories that keep dragging you back. If you have a chance, pop on over!