Monday, November 15, 2010

Time Travel

I've always been fascinated with the idea of time travel. I think it probably stems from watching a couple movies when I was young (Somewhere in Time and Time after Time) and then--but of course--reading OUTLANDER in the early 90s. That book not only helped to foster my love of all things Scotland (particularly those strapping lads), but also started me on a quest for great time travel novels. One of my all time favorites is GREEN DARKNESS by Anya Seton. I still have a soft spot for Scottish historical time travels, I suppose they are technically the only "paranormal" books I regularly read. I took a break from romance reading in college and law school, but "rediscovered" my love of the genre thanks to Karen Marie Moning's early Highlander books. I also loved Michael Crichton's Timeline--both the book and the movie (hello Gerry).

I love the fantasy of thinking that I could actually go back in time and experience the history that I love reading about. If I could pick one time period to go back to, I think I would pick medieval Scotland (Braveheart/Robert the Bruce). I'd love to know what it was really like. But I'd only want to go back for a quick peek. I don't think I'd want to stay there too long. Life was pretty brutal, especially for women.

What about you . . . what time and place would you want to go to?